Dear Family,
Our purpose in trying the newsletter on-line last year was to save printing and shipping costs. But in the end it seems that the printed version is still the favorite, so this will be the last on-line version of "Our Family Circle." Another reason we tried doing the blog was a feeble effort to participate in the technology that is available to keep in touch. However, as one of you stated last year in an email to me, most of you prefer the facebook approach. This opinion was verified by the fact that only a few of you actually posted comments last year on the blog. And since not posting the newsletter to the blog will save me a few......okay, perhaps several hours of additional work, I'm okay with going back to just the printed version of the newsletter. But it was a good experiment, and we will finish out the "era" in good style by putting the newsletter on-line this last time.
Another "last" with this newsletter is my message/editorial at the beginning of each newsletter. We will still have a message–but from now on I will be sharing that responsibility with my siblings. What a nice change that will be!
AND from now on, everyone will send their write ups to one person in each of the 8 families who will be responsible for proofing/editing and forwarding them on to me in one email or two at most. That should greatly reduce the virtual piles of correspondence in my in-box.
I'm open to other suggestions for improving the newsletter as well. For example: Are the activity pages worth the the time and effort? How important is it to you to have color pictures vs. black and white? Should we limit how many pictures or how long the write ups are? Are the statistics on the front page about births, missions, etc. a feature you care about and want to keep?
We may be ending the newsletter on-line, but I'm wondering if we might want to keep the blog active for other purposes. Any suggestions?
Love,
Aunt Louise
Remember Who You Are
Mother and Father Hinckley would often remind their children (and the missionaries as well) to.....“Remember who you are and act accordingly.” This counsel, originally given to members of the Church by President David O. McKay, is as relevant today as it was half a century ago....perhaps more so. Who then are we?
First of all, we are spirit children of our Heavenly Father – sons and daughters of God. Just knowing that can have a powerful influence on how we conduct ourselves, and should help drive away discouragement and feelings of despair. After all, His love for us is perfect. He wants us to succeed more than we do.
Secondly, we are followers of Jesus Christ. When we are baptized, and every time we partake of the Sacrament, we declare our willingness to take upon us his name, and in so doing commit ourselves to do all that we can to be counted among those whom he will choose to stand at his right hand and literally partake of exaltation.
And FINALLY, we are children of earthly parentage with brothers, sisters, and extended family that love us and who are directly affected by the choices we make in life. Some of us were named after beloved family members or distant but revered ancestors; and all of us either share the Hinckley name or have married into this Family with it’s rich heritage.
The Priesthood and Relief Society manual for the year 2012 contains the teachings of the 8th President of the Church, George Albert Smith. In the first pages of the manual is the oft repeated story of a dream that came to him when he was seriously ill, even close to death. In his words....
“I found myself standing with my back to a large and beautiful lake, facing a great forest....I realized, or seemed to realize, that I had finished my work in mortality and had gone home....I found a trail through the woods....after I had walked for some time.....I saw a man coming towards me....I hurried my steps to reach him, because I recognized him as my grandfather [George A. Smith]....how happy I was to see him coming. I had been given his name and had always been proud of it. When Grandfather came within a few feet of me, he stopped....looked at me very earnestly and said: ‘I would like to know what you have done with my name.’ Everything I had ever done passed before me—everything I had done....I smiled and looked at my grandfather and said: ‘I have never done anything with your name of which you need be ashamed.’ He stepped forward and took me in his arms, and as he did so, I became conscious again of my earthly surroundings. My pillow was....wet with tears of gratitude that I could answer unashamed. I have thought of this many times....I have been trying, more than ever since that time, to take care of that name. So I want to say....Honor your fathers and your mothers. Honor the names that you bear.”
We all love the memory of Father and Mother Hinckley, and honoring the Hinckley name not only connects us to them, but to generations past, and blesses generations yet to come. May we each have a clear understanding of who we are and the great privilege that is ours to belong not just to this earthly family, but to be children of our Father In Heaven.
"Behold, my sons, I desire that ye should remember to keep the commandments of God; – Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first parents......and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good. Therefore, my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written of them. – Helaman 5:6-7
"Behold, my sons, I desire that ye should remember to keep the commandments of God; – Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first parents......and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good. Therefore, my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written of them. – Helaman 5:6-7
“a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold” – Proverbs 22:1
Please....“Remember who you are, and act accordingly.”
Love,
Aunt Louise
I'll take over editing this blog if that helps. I live far away and paper copies just never make it to me.
ReplyDeleteNathan Peirce